• facebook
  • twitter

Business Hours

Monday through Friday ~ 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Saturday ~ 7:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Sunday ~ Closed

History

 

The history of Heath Lumber Company has played an important role in the building of the surrounding communities. There are prominent New Jersey landmarks to which Heath Lumber contributed. For instance, during the Civil War, John A Roebling contracted Heath Lumber for bricks to erect the Roebling Plant in Trenton. Fort Dix had lumber delivered by horse and wagon for construction of barracks and other buildings. If you who have ever walked the Atlantic City boardwalk, it was originally supplied from Heath Lumber. In fact, the original contract can still be seen displayed at Heath Lumber Co.

 

 

1857

    Heath Lumber Company, formerly known as Samuel Heath Lumber Company, is one of the oldest retail and wholesale lumber organizations of Trenton. It's history can be traced to their founder, Samuel Heath, who devoted practically his whole business career to the lumber and building material industry. As early as 1857 Samuel Heath and Joseph Richardson began buying and selling timber in and about the then small city of Trenton. It was their practice to buy farms which contained a considerable amount of standing timber, cut it down, sell the logs to Trenton sawmills, dispose of the small trees for cord wood and finally sell the farms after clearing them for farming purposes. These operations continued until 1862 when Richardson and Heath formed a retail partnership known as Richardson and Heath manufacturers of Lime and Building Materials. Much of the building trade of early Trenton frequented their yard located on Stockton Street.

 

1870

    In the year 1870 Joseph and Samuel separated and Samuel Heath purchased the lumber yard of Joseph Bailey on Perry Street. Over the next several years, Samuel Heath was joined by his sons: Frank, Charles, Howard and Roy. As a result of the Pennsylvania Railroad purchasing the location of Heath Lumber, it was relocated to Holland Avenue where it remained for several years.

1870

    In the year 1870 Joseph and Samuel separated and Samuel Heath purchased the lumber yard of Joseph Bailey on Perry Street. Over the next several years, Samuel Heath was joined by his sons: Frank, Charles, Howard and Roy. As a result of the Pennsylvania Railroad purchasing the location of Heath Lumber, it was relocated to Holland Avenue where it remained for several years.

 

1902

    Women and children stand amid the destruction at the Heath Lumber Yard and Trenton Pottery Company on Allen Street in Trenton after a strong tornado ripped through the city on August 10, 1902. (Trentoniana Collection | Trenton Public Library)

 

1910

    In 1910 the Chamber of Commerce sponsored a contest for businesses to come up with a slogan that would tell the whole story of Trenton in one phrase. Out of 1,477 entries, Roy Heath won with his slogan: "Trenton Makes the World Takes" which is still used and displayed today on the Lower Trenton Bridge going to Pennsylvania.

1933

    As time passed, the Housing Authority of the City of Trenton decided that the area which Heath Lumber was located on was a logical site for the Lincoln Homes, therefore, in 1933, Heath Lumber had to relocate to its current site on North Olden Ave. in Ewing Township. A 30' x 24' bungalow type building was built on 6 acres of ground leased from the railroad. The new yard was equipped with private railroad sidings and mill working facilities for the preparation of lumber for industrial purposes, as well as for the convenience of the "up to date" builder. Most of the lumber was brought up the Delaware River by barge to the Port or Trenton.

1951

    In 1951, Heath Lumber Company was purchased from the Heaths by John Patricelli and Anthony Alach, two young men who, as coworkers at Trenton Lumber, had lots of experience in lumber and many ideals and high hopes. Together, John and Anthony incorporated as Heath Lumber Company. Building increased greatly during the following years which increased sales and enabled Heath Lumber to purchase land from the railroad.

John and Pat Patricelli 

Heath Lumber's Gala Opening - 1951

Newspaper Gala Advertisement

1958

    The year 1958 brought more expansion to Heath Lumber when John and Anthony built a new 3,000 square foot showroom facing Olden Avenue. More trucks were purchased which provided free delivery for customers in Hamilton, Ewing, Pennington, Lawrence, Princeton and other surrounding communities.

1974

    After only 15 years, Heath Lumber found itself short on space again and in the year 1974 added on another 4,000 square feet of showroom. This provided room for larger showroom displays such as Andersen windows, Weather Shield Windows, Marvin Windows, Armstrong Ceilings, Stanley Hardware, Macklinberg-Duncan, and paneling displays by Ply Gems, Weyerhauser and more.

 

 

During the 60's, 70's and 80's Heath Lumber had the privilege of supplying many of the developments and private homes in the Mercer, Burlington, Hunterdon and Bucks Counties with quality building materials and service. It wasn't uncommon to see John or Anthony after a full 10 hour workday leaving for home with blueprints under their arms to do take-off lumber lists from customers' plans.

 

1987

    Anthony Alach retired in 1987 leaving John as the sole owner of Heath Lumber Company. The company was now a family venture. John worked alongside his son Gary and daughter Rhonda. New lines of merchandise were added to include paneling, decorative molding, beams, kitchen cabinets, window and door units, ceiling tile, flooring, hand and electric tools, paints, a large hardware department and most items they didn't carry could be special ordered.

 

1995

    In the middle of the night in 1995 a 14 alarm fire broke out in Heath Lumber's main warehouse building, the largest fire in Ewing’s history. 300 Firefighters and 6 aerial units worked through the night and the next day getting the blaze under control and keeping the other buildings full of flammable materials from catching fire. Heath Lumber Company is eternally grateful to the firefighters from: Prospect Heights, Pennington Road, West Trenton, Ewing, Slackwood, Lawrence, Three Trenton Companies, Engines 5, 6, and 10, Mercerville, Rusling Hose, Hamilton, Enterprise, DeCou Hose, White Horse, Nottingham, Colonial, all of Hamilton, West Windsor, Pennington and Union of Titusville for their tireless dedication.

2001

    John Patricelli passed away in 2001 leaving his son Gary to carry on the business. 

2000's

    Today, Heath Lumber Company is still owned by the Patricelli family. Heath Lumber proudly continues to serve the surrounding communities and provide homeowners and contractors with quality building materials, tools, hardware, doors, windows, cabinets and more.